Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Word of the Day: Proselytize

pros-e-ly-tize v. 
v.intr.1. To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.2. To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.
 v.tr.To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

I may or may not do a "Word of the Day" from now on. Really, I've just been trying to remember this word for the last few days. Every once in a while, I'd think, "What is that word that means 'to preach,' but emphatically?" I realize that my definition is a little off from the actual denotation. But hey, I was close.

For some reason, though, as many times as I've seen this word written, I don't think I've ever heard it said out loud. Because of this, I have a hard time remembering it: it helps to know how a word sounds in order to properly recall it. So, any time that I've tried to say it to myself, I'm never sure if I'm saying it correctly. Often, I mix up the syllables. For instance, in order to find the word, I tried typing into the Google searchbar, "preach synonym prole..." because I didn't know how the rest of the word went. And obviously, I didn't know how the beginning of the word went, either.

I guess I affirmed something about myself today: I'm an auditory listener. That probably explains why I used to fall asleep reading a text book, but I could stay awake in a classroom listening to a lecture.

Anyway, I'm going to try to find a reason to incorporate this new word into everyday conversation. We'll see how that goes.

-JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment