Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Jumping Cars

Skip to 1:42 for the real show.

If you watched the entire video, you saw that BOSE has been holding out on car buyers for a while. The test vehicle makes hairpin turns without rocking an inch, and stays steady enough on rocky back roads to make it look like it's gliding over new pavement. 

To be fair to BOSE, though, I've read that this type of suspension is more expensive than conventional suspension systems, and thus would not be economical for standard use in consumer vehicles. However, they are currently being used in some bus systems, and some higher end cars. I think some high-end cars even have them as an add-on for a couple thousand dollars more. 

We're not talking about my Corolla here, of course.

However, the real fun begins at 1:42. You see a car literally jumping over an obstacle. It's not as dramatic as a spike-strip, or a person lying prostrate in the path of the car, but it's impressive nonetheless. My Corolla certainly couldn't pull of that move, and neither could yours. 

Maybe one day it could, though. Perhaps, in some future time, when people are wearing silver and eating entire meals in pill form (yes, I get all of my future references from Back the the Future II), we will be able to avoid hitting a squirrel, cat or small dog by simply jumping our water-powered vehicles over the creatures and going about our merry way, enjoying the robotic sounds of whatever synthetic pop we're listening to at the time. We should have already had flying cars by now (seriously, I need to expand my references a bit), but I guess we can take a two-ton ollie if it gets us a little closer to The World of Tomorrow type enhancements. 

Honestly, though, I'll settle for a hoverboard.

-JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment